A theme that is repeated many times in Scripture is this: God asks us/exhorts us to do something that He, Himself, has first done. For example, "we love because He first loved us" (1 John 4:19) or "forgiving one another just as God has forgiven you" (Ephesians 4:32). We believe this same principle applies to our giving/tithing.
As followers of Jesus, generosity is a normal response to God's generosity toward us. God has lavished us with his limitless grace, steadfast love, and unending provision. All this was accomplished through the cross of Jesus Christ. Therefore, the mark of a healthy follower of Jesus is one who responds to God's generosity by also being generous....generous with one's time AND resources.
The irony of our generosity, as Randy Alcorn rightly asserts in his book, The Treasure Principle, is that God owns everything in the first place. this means, we are mere stewards of God's things, not ours. Therefore, when we give, we give:
- Out of a grateful heart to God's generosity towards us
- Because God owns everything in the first place
- Because this is indicative of a healthy, mature, follower of Jesus Christ who lives for the glory of God
Philosophically, this means:
- 10% of income to undesignated tithe
- Any "above and beyond" tithes can be given to approved designations
Practically, this means:
- You can give during weekend services when the offering pouches are passed out or any of the offering boxes at the entrances/exits
- You can give online (link below)