What is the Church?
The church exists to display the glory of God because all things exists for His glory. Those of us who trust in and follow Jesus are caught up in something bigger than ourselves. We have been graciously invited into God's redemptive purposes in the world. The church is a body of "born again" believers in Jesus Christ, who meet together for the purpose of worship, for the work of service, and evangelism.
Biblical Principles for Membership
We consider membership to be important. The church is often described as a body. A part of your body, such as your heart, is not designed to operate independently or outside of your body. Independently it cannot fulfill its function. A body without a heart dies. Consider the following principles:
- The instructions of church discipline will only make sense in the context of membership.
- The instructions of pastoral oversight and spiritual leadership will only make sense in the context of membership.
- The use of the words 'temple', "body", and "household", in the New Testament will only make sense in the context of membership.
- You prove that you are not ashamed to identify with Christ and His people.
- You stop being an independent Christian and place yourself under the discipline and protection of other Christians.
- You have greater opportunity to use your spiritual gifts for the common good.
- There is power in unity, as well as a more balanced ministry.
- You openly demonstrate the reality of the body of Christ.
- You "spur" new believers to the same commitment to the local body of Christ.
- You encourage the ministry of the church when you consider it faithful and join it.
- By becoming a member you stop being a spiritual hitchhiker.
The Steps to Membership
Independent Bible Church relies on members to support our ministries within the community and around the world. It is a high calling that takes diligence, yet is most rewarding. If you desire to make a deeper commitment to IBC, we encourage you to become a member. Gaining membership is a four-step process:
- Connect: Regularly attend our worship services. Learn who we are and what we are about.
- Believe: Members are required to be professing Christians who believe and have faith in the Lord Jesus.
- Learn: Attend a membership class. This will help you understand more fully who we are as a church, what we believe, and how we operate.
- Commit: Share your commitment to IBC by sharing your testimony with some of our Elders and agreeing to our membership covenant.